If You Still Don't Have a Smartphone, Read This Right NOW
Unbreakable Disease
2019-10-12 19:24:00 UTC
Being active on the Internet ever since I bought a 33.6k modem in 1996,
I have noticed something wrong that happens since little over 10 years.
I know it's already too late for most people, but it's still possible to
save those without a smartphone. Take those 5 minutes to read this, it
might mean difference between you becoming addicted to smartphones and
living a happy life.

Dear that 23% of American population and likely in 11% teenagers without
a smartphone, you can consider yourself lucky: I do understand your pain
of peer pressure, you all come in the right place. after all,
smartphones are not without drawbacks that make it unsuitable for
everyone and it's very hard to return to a flip phone after.

At the very least, read the chapter I <#I>.

The code you see inside angle brackets is the search code. Use the
search function in your newsgroup reader to find chapters and
subchapters quickly.

Windows: CTRL-F
Mac: Command-F

Table of Contents
I....Points Why You May Not Like a Smartphone <#I>
II..Translation Considerations <#II>
1. Why Translate? <#II.1>
2. What to consider <#II.2
3. How to Do it <#II.2>
III...Exposing a Propaganda (hidden with ROT13) <#III>
2. Disputing His Claims <#III.2>
3. The Correct Version <#III.3>
4. Conclusion <#III.4>

I. POINTS WHY YOU MAY NOT LIKE A SMARTPHONE <#I>

* the first thing is that most people with a touch screen phone use them
too often at social situations. it's an addiction, really. That's called
"phubbing" - short for phone snubbing. So many people have a touch
screen phone that it is socially acceptable. Because of this, the
collapse of society is near. Scared of this? Use a button phone then.
Better to be safe than to lose a friend.

* Number Two: there are two types of people: those who like being online
24/7/365 and others who hate it. Yes, you will receive texts and calls
on your flip phone, but it's better than having to manage the constant
stream of e-mails and anything from cyberspace. And yes, you will feel
obliged to check your phone likely every few minutes and reply to your
Internet communications, just like everyone else with a smartphone does.

* THREE: it all comes at the expense of experiencing the real world. If
you want to use Internet and Facebook, you can do it at your comptuer at
home instead of doiing it when you are out and about.

* 4. Missing Snapchat or Instagram? Think about it... they are complete
wastes of time. You don't miss nothing from those cesspools. Absolutely
nothing. If you do use Snapchat, you trust it with with the location (it
has got a user location map) and no wonder you can be knived at any time
if you have a switched-on (NOT USED) smartphone with Snapchat app.

* Five. By buying a smartphone you are contributing to a problem of
e-waste. If you care about the planet, better stick with a dumbphone
because it won't get obsolete as fast.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90165365/smartphones-are-wrecking-the-planet-faster-than-anyone-expected

* BONUS: 6: Smartphones are killing the real, decentralized Web and the
Internet with each day. Since it's much more convenient to use apps
rather than a mobile web browser, the Web has been becoming a
totalitarian means of control (90% of today's Internet traffic goes to
Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix and Google) rather than democratic Web
of 90s and 2000s (lots of forums, websites, blogs, P2P download and
search engines). Don't buy a smartphone if you dream about free,
democratic Internet.
https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/11/web-began-dying-2014-heres.html

Those three points I made are probably enough for you to think thrice
before buying a smartphone. If you still aren't convinced to not get a
smartphone, read those articles online...

http://www.speeli.com/articles/view/Why-Smartphones-are-bad-for-society

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-reasons-not-to-buy-a-smartphone/

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/smart-spending/reasons-not-to-buy-smartphone-1.aspx

and I'm sure that you'll rationally think if it's worth you to have a
smartphone or not. if not, any, and I mean ANY exucse to bat away peer
pressure will be enough.

There are three modern Nokia dumbphones (real cell phones) if
smartphones are not for you:
https://gizmodo.com/nokia-reminds-us-dumb-phones-can-still-be-good-in-2019-1837711941

You might not be as pressured to buy a smartphone after you have read
this.Do so knowing that once you have gone over to a dark side of
smartphone ownership it is *very* difficult to return to simple
pleasures of owning a humble feature phone.

Recommended reading for kids and teenagers:
If you want to find ways how to kill boredom without technology, read
this: http://textfiles.com/uploads/boredom.faq
There are lots of time-killing apps if you don't believe me, like
Snapchat, Instagram or Hill Climb Racing. Sure, they might seem like fun
for now, but when you grow up, it will seem like flushing your time down
a toilet. You might wish you have never got a smartphone.
You might argue that you need Facebook Messenger or some other app on
your smartphone. Most of them have got web/desktop versions.

Help raise awareness and send this article to other people!

II. TRANSLATION CONSIDERATIONS <#II.1>

1. Why Translate?

As more and more people get a smartphone every minute, it gets
harder&harder with each minute to stop them from getting a smartphone.
Since there is only around 13% of world population who know English, we
need to translate for the rest of world population in order to make them
re-think buying a smartphone.

This chapter will help you make sure your translated content is as
effective as possible.

2. What to Consider <#II.2>

* In order to help to reach as wide audience of non-smartphone users as
possible, you should post it as much as possible on the World Wide Web,
newsgroups, etc.

3. How to do it <#II.3>

Clear points:

* Don't forget about search codes (those angle bracketed text) that make
it easy for user to find a chapter or a subchapter.

* Link back to an original English document.

* Remember to use the same formatting when translating to foreign
language, unless not possible by the syntax of language.

Send it to cellular phone newsgroups in translated language, social
media sites, forums, blogs etc. to increase awareness.

III. EXPOSING A PROPAGANDA <#III>

https://old.reddit.com/r/simpleliving/comments/738jgl/psa_getting_a_dumbphoneflipphone_will_probably/dnog2d0/

[–]easasd 14 points 1 year ago*

# umieścić na grupie dyskujsyjnej alt.atheism i zaszyfrować przy użyciu
rot13

WARNING!!!

The following chapter is potentially offensive and will probably
guarantee you will never might never want a smartphone again.. however,
if you have read the OP and you are sure that you'll don't want a
smartphone, go ahead and read it.

ANOTHER WARNING... this is the last chance you can stop... if you aren't
ready, STOP READING THIS RIGHT NOW. If you are sure you want to read
this, go ahead.

I found the heretic teaching of the Reddit user "easasd". here I will
dispute his absurd manifesto, that has got some harsh arguments. It's a
dangerous propaganda that needs to be exposed right now.

Remember: once it is on the Internet, it is always on the Internet.

https://old.reddit.com/r/simpleliving/comments/738jgl/psa_getting_a_dumbphoneflipphone_will_probably/dnog2d0/

2. Disputing His Claims <#III.2>

Now I'm are going to dispute his claims and prove they are false in most
part.

PLEASE Don't believe anything the cited person says. Trust me, and only me.
Having an old phone incentivizes you to actually remember things when
you sit at a computer and look them up, and forces you to be an actual
person in the real world. Just yesterday when I got to work, I was
walking down the stairs in the parking garage. On my way down, this girl
bumped into me because she couldn't take her eyes off her phone for one
second. 4 flights of stairs and all she did was phone.

Owning a smartphone will reduce your experience of the real world. Also,
it's people's own problem that they become a phone zombie. They could
just choose to not buy a smartphone. Unfortunately, it's too late to
most of them. As they say, "live by the sword, die by the sword". Their
life, their choice.

For the information thing, you are never more than 5 minutes away from
the computer when you need information.

As Unix users like me say, live free or die.

TL;DR: Forget it, live free or die. You are almost never 5 minutes away
from a computer these days when you truly need to use it.
These are not phones. They're complete computers that you carry in
your pocket (actually, usually in your hand, while staring down, while
j-walking across the street, and (maybe?) hoping the cars don't hit you).

Nice reference to this old article:
https://readwrite.com/2010/01/07/smart-phones-smart-phones-all/.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2017/08/21/man-falls-into-sinkhole-china-orig.cnn

*FUCK OFF!*
Not to mention, constantly using your smartphone, all these apps,
you're allowing everyone to track you at all times. Sure, Google knows
tons about me, but they don't know where I am at all times just from me
using their search engine at a stationary computer.

All these apps can monitor you even when not actively used, even in
airplane mode. You don't have to use them. At all. That's a trade-off.
(excluding mobile web) Use DuckDuckGo then, you propagandist.

You must be a moron or don't know how modern mobile operating systems
work. To install an app automatically means to trust an app developer.
If you disagree, stop using the Internet and computers. Also, who is
"everyone"? Those are, of course, your telephone company, apps you have
on your device, Apple (iOS) or Google (Android) and websites you use on
your device.

TO BE ABLE TO USE AN APP OR ACCES A WEBSITE AUTOMATICALLY MEANS TO
*TRUST* AN APP DEVELOPER OR WEBMASTER, DO YOU UNDERSTAND, YOU MORON?
Nevertheless, I'd rather trust Google than a random cybercriminal. At
least I know what they can do with my data.

I do use an ungooglified Android custom ROM and a firewall to keep some
apps from phoning home and invading my privacy. users who do not are dumb.
I have a 10 year old GPS unit that sits in my car, works fine. I have
a crappy phone that I use as an actual phone. I have CDs in my car, and
a small mp3 player that I use for music when I go to the gym. The cost
of those devices (which I got many years ago)? Probably 1 month of an
iPhone bill.

A crappy phone is a smartphone. It's a great mobile computing device,
but an awful cell phone. He denies using a smartphone... but this
sentence says the completely different thing! You lie!

Live life like you want, we're all going to die sooner or later.
Addicted to your social media? Delete the apps. Addicted to Candy
Crush? Delete the app. Constantly checking the news? Put the phone in
your bag or, shocker, delete the app.
This is like telling a sugar addict to live in a candy store and not
give in.

Nothing more but a pile of BS! Here are my two proposals: Hate privacy
invasion? Put a custom ROM without Gapps. Addicted to the Internet?
Again, put a degooglified ROM and throw away a web browser. It gets
obvious that it's propaganda which has been upvoted by 13 idiots. It
must be not an accident!
THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE PHONE. It is your life.
The problem is the phone. Everyone is addicted to this shit. There's
no incentive to learn anything anymore. You can always look something up
at any time. Which means: no incentive to remember. Students sit around
texting or facebooking all day, even during class. They don't respect
their teachers or professors, who are (usually) working hard to try to
help them.

Forget what you have read. THEREFORE, THE PROBLEM IS *STILL NOT THE
PHONE, IT IS WITH MOBILE WEB*. It's mobile web addiction. Just don't get
a smartphone or/and data plan if you don't want to develop a need for
instant information. Still, don't listen to his propaganda and trust
only me. in today's wired world you're almost never more to the computer
than 5 minutes away when you truly need information.

Some old dumbphones also have got Internet connectivity, but no touch
screen so rather clunky to use.

*The much worse problem is brainwashing by consortium of Apple,
Microsoft and Google into buying one.* That's the only reason why most
people will likely believe into your propaganda.
I also save a ton of money by not having a smartphone.
You can't get something out of nothing. If you can't afford DO NOT get a
smartphone. "Everything is a sacrifice." - lessgravity,
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437059-everything-sacrifice.html
I've probably spent < $100 in my life on all of my phones combined
(the devices, not the bills).

The same thing would hold true even if you had a smartphone - you
claimed that they are not phones (becuase they really are NOT!) and the
fact is that cell phone modules are really cheap these days.
I used a dumbphone and it sucks; I lasted a week before I switched
back to my Galaxy S6 which I've had for two years now.
Sounds like an addict to me.
FOR YOU, of course.

Touch screen UI is, in fact, a lot easier to use than a clunky UI of old
dumbphones. Dumbphones don't even have a battery percentage indicator,
yet you shit on him. It's very difficult to readjust to real buttons
after. Try it, and you'll have a trouble going through your dubmphone's UI.

MakeUseOf was right: they told that "once you have gone over to the dark
side of smartphone ownership it’s VERY difficult to return to the simple
pleasures of owning a humble feature phone". Boy, he has just gave up.
If you simply fuck off and listen only to me, you will be light years
ahead in your beliefs.

Source: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-reasons-not-to-buy-a-smartphone/
You don't lose anything from a smartphone if you never get one in the
first place.

I was already fucked up when I bought my Treo 15 years ago. It's already
too late for most people.

There are many examples of what can be achieved with one, such as the
opportunity to take photos anywhere and everywhere, or the number of
single-purpose devices a smartphone kills the need to own, but there is
also a lot of drawbacks which everyone must decide which will outweigh
and why. "Everything is a sacrifice." - lessgravity,
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437059-everything-sacrifice.html
Edit: these companies (both the device manufacturers and the app
companies) have hundreds of billions of dollars at their disposal.

That's where the real propaganda begins, scaring away people from the
smartphone world. I believe device manufacturers only spend that money
on brainwashing public into buying one. Go fuck yourself and not other
people, propagandist. You are WAY WAY too late, most people already have
got a smartphone.
Their goal is to get you addicted
the Great Deceiver STEVE JOBS helped in that.

They have played it like a crack dealer. Give smartphones away to people
for free or very cheap and once they taste the how much smartphones can
do, they will only want more. Palm Pilot used a similar strategy to sell
their Zires in early 2000s
http://www.palminfocenter.com/comments/6729/#93230 and few years later
with a Centro
http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7506/2-millionth-palm-centro-sold/
(basically a dirt-cheap Treo 755). I myself still have them both deep
somewhere lying around my home.

Also, smartphone addiction is a price you'll pay for this capable
device. I myself have a Motorola Droid 4 and have a withdrawal when I go
more from it than a few feet. It's a sacrifice, after all...
get you constantly looking at your phone
It's a general Internet problem, not the computing platform one. What's
the difference between constantly looking at handheld (that's what
smartphones are) or a PC? Not much. Pure bullshit.

Bla bla propaganda. The problem is the user, not the computer. If you
constantly look at your handheld, you probably are going to do the same
with a PC when you are at home and vice versa. Anyway, don't worry, the
risk is not much bigger than with a PC.
get you always coming back for more
Again, it's a general Internet problem, not the computing platform one.
You propagandist.

My $64 question: What's the difference from accessing the Internet from
a smartphone or a PC? A smartphone is just a computing device,
technically not much different from a PC... Again, you probably said the
same in late 20th century, beginning with CompuServe if you are old enough.

It MUST be the Internet problem, not the computing platform one.
get all of your data (including your whereabouts, interests, affairs,
etc.)

It's a general computing problem, not the computing platform one. Do you
know that Google and Microsoft knows almost all your data even if you
don't own any mobile device? You already read this from Microsoft
Windows operating system, probably use Google Chrome and Googling your
way to loss of privacy.

# Remember that "Everything is a sacrifice." - lessgravity,
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437059-everything-sacrifice.html
get you earning them advertising revenue, etc.
Yet again, it's a general Internet problem, not the computing platform one.

Advertisements were here on the Internet since at least 1994. It doesn't
matter what kind of computer you are using, whether desk top, lap top,
smartphone, tablet, etc. You can block advertisements... you lost the
battle.
They are very good at what they do.
They have brainwashed pretty much almost all Millenials and Generation Z
into buying a smartphone by showing what you can do with a touch screen,
cool apps you can get on it and the Internet on the top of it all. This
is nothing but LUST, GREED and trend set with spending hundreds of
billions of dollars.

We need to be better than them as part of the Internet community. the
more language this post is translated into and the more posted around
the Internet (forums, social networking sites/apps, newsgroups,
(micro)blogs), the more likely we are to save the world from being
completely overtaken by those false-hearted companies.

TRUE enough for most Internet users it's already too late, they have
already got a smartphone. For luck there is still a big part of Internet
users (but getting smaller and smaller with every minute) that still
don't have a smartphone and still can be saved.
They want to make sure you don't live a simple life, even if it's
theoretically possible.

Theoretically everyone can live a simple life... just because it's
possible, doesn't mean it's accessible. You haven't discovered America.

Have fun while it lasts. After all, "Everything is a sacrifice." -
lessgravity,
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437059-everything-sacrifice.html
They want everyone at social events, like dinners, to be on their
phones non-stop, instead of having a conversation.

DO NOT get a smartphone if you value your real friends and family.
Better safe than sorry. Trust me, I've lost my friends to my smartphone.
Again, "Everything is a sacrifice." - lessgravity,
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437059-everything-sacrifice.html

That's "phubbing" for those uninitated. You get a lot of functionalty,
but you WILL target yourself at the risk of ignoring real people for
your phone.

Most of those with touch screen phones use them too often to be
sociable. I can't think of any touchscreen-phone-owning friend who never
phubbed in front of me. Not a company problem at all, that's the price
of owning a touch screen phone.
This is a fight you cannot win.
You came too late to win this fight. Most people already have gone over
to a dark side of smartphone ownership.

it is POSSIBLE to win this fight. we can and we will if people who read
will translate the the OP and post it everywhere. Another argument,
don't fall prey to it if you even *slightly* don't like this lifestyle.
Before you dig your head out of smartphone world and return to feature
phones, it'll probably be already too late for you. At the very least,
you'll hate clunky, button-based UI, especially the one of Nokia
dumbphones, which are the leader in UI shitness. You have been warned.

He ahas used fear to scare away people from smartphones. Anyway, if you
are perfectly happy with a dumbphone, there's nothing wrong with that.

Fuck off, easasd. It MUST be an exaggregation and scareaway people from
smartphones. All you have done is that you scared away people from
getting a smartphone. Their life, their choice. Let them decide, it's
completely up to them, and only them, if they want to upgrade.

1. Understand that mobile is not only devices, it is a lifestyle.
FUCKING lifestyle.
2. think VERY HARD at least triple times before you get a smartphone.
That's a SERIOUS lifestyle decision, it isn't simply buying a cell
phone. You are buying a computing device. Write down pros and cons on
paper, sum them up and decide if it's worth for you.
3. if you do, REMEMBER that once you get a smartphone it's *very*
difficult to return to a dumbphone.
4. if you don't, that's completely fine: There are lots of reasons why
smartphones might be not for you, Read the Chapter I <#I> again.

3. The Correct Version <#III.3>

That's the real version of the post. Removed propaganda while don't
changing the meaning.

----

There are many examples what can be achieved with a smartphone - it
kills the need to own number of devices and being able to take photos
anywhere and everywhere.

However, smartphones are not without their drawbacks. For example, they
are expensive (which it isn't that bad when you consider how much
devices it can replace) and you will likely develop the need for instant
information because of constant connection with the Internet.

By having a smartphone, you will develop a need for instant information
and feel like you can't wait until you are a front of the computer.

Not to mention, smartphones are a privacy nightmare. This means that by
being able to use a smartphone you are trusting Apple (iOS), Google
(Android) and app developers whom apps you have on your device. To be
able to use a smartphone one must trust Apple and/or Google, app
developers whom apps you install to your device and device manufacturers
(Huawei = the price of cheap is high (loss of some privacy)). It can be
reduced by using the iPhone (https://www.apple.com/privacy/) or better
yet, use an Android custom ROM without GAPPS crap (EXCEPT
cyanogenmod/lineageOS/PixelExperience).

Another risks and consequences of buying a smartphone are: the risk of
"phubbing", that means being tempted to use a phone during social events
of course; time-wasting apps; finding life without a smartphone very
difficult; being online 24/7/365; checking notifications constantly.

You get something from getting a smartphone, and you lose something.
It's up to you to sum up pros and cons and decide.

If benefits of smartphones are worth the risks and consequences, you
will like it. Do so knowing that surfing the Internet and all of those
apps are addictive, but well, "Everything is a sacrifice." -
lessgravity,
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437059-everything-sacrifice.html

"It is completely up to you whether you want to upgrade from a dumbphone
to a smartphone. Do so knowing that once you turn to a dark side of
smartphone ownership, it is very difficult to return to simple pleasures
of owning a humble feature phone." -
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-reasons-not-to-buy-a-smartphone/

----

4. Conclusion <#III.4>

Smartphones are not without their drawbacks that easily can make it
unsuitable for everyone. Every useful feature on a device is compromised
by recreatuional ones and even not by those. However, if benefits easily
outweigh drawbacks for you, then go ahead. Just remember, going back to
a dumbphone is very difficult, so think very hard about it at least thrice.
Ant
2019-10-12 22:13:56 UTC
I started using the internet in 1994 as a high school senior with a free
shell account on a local university with my external Intel 144/144e
(14400 speed) dial-up modem. I used it for FTP like with
ftp.cdrom.com/pub/doom/ for mostly DOOM files. :D During and before it,
I was also still using local bulletin board systems (BBSes) and before
it. Before discovering BBSes, I used Prodigy.

I started using smartphones late like in early 2015 with a free unwanted
used iPhone 4S. I didn't care for smartphones, but hey it was free. I
also had two dumb cell(ular) phones before it, but I rarely used them
except for urgent phone calls and textings were not cheap (charged for
each one). These days I use my somewhat addicting iPhone 6+ for textings
and its mobile apps these days (e.g., Instagram but less since they
removed its Following tab feature), but I still prefer old fashion
computers (even if they are decade old like my home computers!) with big
screens and physical keyboards (model M FTW) on fast andline Internet
connections. I don't like the on screens to touch and type. I'm old
school! :P

Either way, I am addicted to the online world no matter what since my
Prodigy and BBS days. :P
Post by Unbreakable Disease
[...]
# umie??ci?? na grupie dyskujsyjnej alt.atheism i zaszyfrowa?? przy u??yciu
--
Why is this ant sick again, but with a nasty allergy (leaks, sneezes, and itches)? No cold, flu like from the end of August, and massive poops from this stupid old body. :(
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /
( )
Mike Easter
2019-10-13 13:50:41 UTC
Post by Ant
[...]
I've been online since 1986, dialup, Atari ST, GEnie, and local BBS, and
now I spend a lot more time online on full sized keyboards and monitors.
I don't think I would call it 'addicted', but major usage in terms of
percentage of my time.

I have a 'legacy' feature (clamshell) phone with a cell provider plan
which I rarely use. I also have a smart phone w/o a plan which is
useful as a device for several purposes not related to phone. Normally
I do not turn either of my cell phones on and I don't normally carry a
cell except if I'm traveling out of state. I don't participate in the
social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn. My home
phones which were originally landlines are now VoIP.

My no plan smartphone can phone via wifi (but I don't), my normal
phoning is voip on my house phones; the important distinction between me
and almost everyone else Is see around is that I don't carry a cellphone
normally; so the OP's message of this thread doesn't apply to me.
Mike Easter
Your Name
2019-10-14 00:30:59 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Ant
[...]
It depends on what you use it for and your own company / OS preference,
but if you're not using a smartphone for phone functions, you may be
better off with the cheaper iPod Touch - you'll get more storage
capacity for the same / less money.
Post by Mike Easter
My no plan smartphone can phone via wifi (but I don't), my normal
phoning is voip on my house phones; the important distinction between
me and almost everyone else Is see around is that I don't carry a
cellphone normally; so the OP's message of this thread doesn't apply to
me.
I've never had any mobile phone and never seen a point in me having one.

I did look at the iPod Touch as an electronic notebook, but for the
amount I'd use it for it was overkill and expensive ... so I stuck to
paper and pen instead.
nospam
and a *significantly* less capable device
Unbreakable Disease
2019-10-17 20:48:00 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Your Name
Post by Mike Easter
I have a 'legacy' feature (clamshell) phone with a cell provider plan
which I rarely use. I also have a smart phone w/o a plan which is
useful as a device for several purposes not related to phone. Normally
I do not turn either of my cell phones on and I don't normally carry a
cell except if I'm traveling out of state. I don't participate in the
social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn. My home
phones which were originally landlines are now VoIP.
It depends on what you use it for and your own company / OS preference,
but if you're not using a smartphone for phone functions, you may be
better off with the cheaper iPod Touch - you'll get more storage
capacity for the same / less money.
and a *significantly* less capable device
I had a Palm Dire personal digital assistant in early 2000s. Then I've
moved up to a Palm Centro and now I still do use my custom-modded
Motorola Droid 4.

Nevertheless, congratulations for Your Name for resisting peer pressure.
We need more people without a cell phone.
Your Name
2019-10-18 02:20:27 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Your Name
Post by Mike Easter
[...]
"Peer pressure" is just an excuse used by the weak-willed ... it's the
same as "[insert name] made me do it" kid's use.
Unbreakable Disease
2019-11-29 21:02:00 UTC
Post by Ant
I started using smartphones late like in early 2015 with a free unwanted
used iPhone 4S. I didn't care for smartphones, but hey it was free. I
also had two dumb cell(ular) phones before it, but I rarely used them
except for urgent phone calls and textings were not cheap (charged for
each one). These days I use my somewhat addicting iPhone 6+ for textings
and its mobile apps these days (e.g., Instagram but less since they
removed its Following tab feature), but I still prefer old fashion
computers (even if they are decade old like my home computers!) with big
screens and physical keyboards (model M FTW) on fast andline Internet
connections. I don't like the on screens to touch and type. I'm old
school! :P
Finally someone who was born before 1980 and uses Instagram.

Even though I'm almost 50, maybe I would be interested as well. Which
users do you follow?
Ant
2019-11-30 00:46:00 UTC
Post by Ant
[...]
I follow mostly my friends and then other random users. I keep my
profile private to non-friends.
--
"Many ants kill a camel." --Turkish
( )
Unbreakable Disease
Do you follow those mainstream picture-perfect life profiles as well?
Ant
( )
Unbreakable Disease
Good to hear. Those profiles has been proven to cause depression.
Your Name
2019-11-30 01:16:50 UTC
Post by Ant
I started using smartphones late like in early 2015 with a free unwanted
used iPhone 4S. I didn't care for smartphones, but hey it was free. I
also had two dumb cell(ular) phones before it, but I rarely used them
except for urgent phone calls and textings were not cheap (charged for
each one). These days I use my somewhat addicting iPhone 6+ for textings
and its mobile apps these days (e.g., Instagram but less since they
removed its Following tab feature), but I still prefer old fashion
computers (even if they are decade old like my home computers!) with big
screens and physical keyboards (model M FTW) on fast andline Internet
connections. I don't like the on screens to touch and type. I'm old
school! :P
I've never had any mobile phone ... never wanted one, never needed one,
and never saw any point in me having one.

My mother on the other hand is over 70 and is addicted to her
smartphone (mainly the messaging apps) and iPad. She's pretty much
constantly playing with the silly things, even while watching TV,
eating dinner, etc. There's one particular person she gets messages
from who often sends 10+ messages one-after-the-other (without even
waiting for any replies), so the damn smartphone continually beeps as
each new one arrives.
Ant
2019-11-30 05:01:01 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Ant
[...]
It's better than watching non-interactive TV all day. ;)
( )
Andy Burns
2019-10-13 12:58:12 UTC
Unbreakable Disease wrote:

[snip 550 line rant]
Post by Unbreakable Disease
Smartphones are not without their drawbacks
If ever you want to give an example of how to write a message so that
nobody will pay it a blind bit of notice, I suggest that was a masterclass.
Christopher A. Lee
He's cross-posted the exact same bullshit before,
sms
2019-10-13 14:49:01 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
[snip 550 line rant]
Post by Unbreakable Disease
Smartphones are not without their drawbacks
If ever you want to give an example of how to write a message so that
nobody will pay it a blind bit of notice, I suggest that was a masterclass.
It was also a great example of how to encourage a Usenet "from" filter
to be written for you.
Kees Nuyt
2019-10-13 22:17:28 UTC
On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 13:58:12 +0100, Andy Burns
Post by Andy Burns
[snip 550 line rant]
Post by Unbreakable Disease
Smartphones are not without their drawbacks
If ever you want to give an example of how to write a message so that
nobody will pay it a blind bit of notice, I suggest that was a masterclass.
And it made Ant the quoting master !
Kees
Ant
2019-10-14 01:50:41 UTC
Post by Kees Nuyt
On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 13:58:12 +0100, Andy Burns
Post by Andy Burns
[snip 550 line rant]
Post by Unbreakable Disease
Smartphones are not without their drawbacks
If ever you want to give an example of how to write a message so that
nobody will pay it a blind bit of notice, I suggest that was a masterclass.
And it made Ant the quoting master !
:P
--
Why is this old ant still sick daily and almost all day, but with a nasty allergy (leaks, sneezes, and itches)? No cold, flu like from the end of August from this stupid old body, etc. :(