Are iPhones designed to be addictive?
Unbreakable Disease
2020-02-01 11:07:00 UTC
Many have fell into a lie that iPhones/smartphones are intentionally
designed to be addictive. *No* they aren't. An iPhone/smartphone doesn’t
directly act upon brain circuitry. But we can easily become dependent on
using it the way we might become dependent on wanting chocolate. When
people say they’re addicted to using their iPhone, what they really mean
is that they want the reward and feel they need this reward.

Apple's business model isn't to keep you looking at your screens for as
long as possible. Same applies to Samsung, Huawei (*DON'T* BUY), and
pretty much any smartphone device manufacturer. They ain't Facebook,
Twitter, Snapchat, etc. So yes, it's safe to assume that addictive
nature of iPhones/smartphones is unintentional. However, not so with
social media apps.

In fact, in compilance with the instructions recommended by Center for
Humane Technology (http://humanetech.com) they are attempting to solve
this problem with features such as Screen Time, but if you can't control
your gadget usage, you probably shouldn't own any gadgets.

STill don't believe me?

At the turn of the millenium, Nokia candy bar phones showed up on the
market (those with Snake game), which were more addictive than old bag
phones. Then Motorola flip phones came, which were more addictive than
Nokia phones. Then BlackBerry's came, which were more addictive than
Motorola phones. Then iPhone came, which is more addictive than BlackBerry.

It doesn't take above-average IQ to figure out that each new generation
of a mobile phone was more addictive.

TL;DR? Let me sort cell phones from least addictive to most addictive:
Bag phones > Nokia candy bar phones > Motorola flip phones > BlackBerry
iPhone
--
Tip me: bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

bitcoin:bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f
Ed Cryer
2020-02-01 18:33:11 UTC
Post by Unbreakable Disease
[...]
You aint gonna drive me back to a rural, agrarian economy; nor to a
squat in some east-of-city-centre urban environment.
I used to be addicted to steam engines, then cotton mills, then TV, and
now mobile smart phone.
It's called progress. Our capitalist economies depend on it.
Embrace the future, my friend. Most people do.

Ed
Unbreakable Disease
2020-02-05 19:18:00 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
[...]
And their lies that say that smartphones have been intentionally
designed to be addictive. From my experience, it's not a phone that it's
designed that way, some software is.

Speaking as someone who had a Palm PDA.

Alan Browne
2020-02-01 23:19:55 UTC
Failed at critical analysis, huh?
Joanna Shuttleworth
2020-02-03 10:09:48 UTC
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.mobile.ipad.]
Post by Unbreakable Disease
Many have fell into a lie that iPhones/smartphones are intentionally
'have fallen'